Improve running or swim-bike?

Home Forums Coaching Run Improve running or swim-bike?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Kat 8 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Kat
    Participant

Hi all πŸ™‚

I have managed to qualify for the Challenge Herning Middle distance Champs this year, (10 June 2017), thanks to following the brilliant 16hr 70.3 trisutto plan!

Now, my stand-alone half marathon PB is 1hr 40min 13sec but at the end of a half ironman, I’m around 1hr 50+ depending on the course. Why is is? Is it because I need to strengthen my run, or is it the fatigue from the swim-bike that’s causing the drop in pace and do I therefore need to get stronger in these two?

Looking forward to hearing from you πŸ™‚

Kat x

Mat O’Halloran
    Participant

Hey Kat – thanx for your question. The swim/bike combo is surely the cause of you running slower. So look to become both stronger and more efficient, in the first 2 legs of the race. It will allow to start the run feeling “fresh” and ready to run better.

Then it could also help to do more specific training on the run. So that you are ready to go in all 3 legs.

Lastly, nutrition/hydration plays a significant factor in the 2nd half of a middle distance event. Make sure you are not “scraping bottom” at any point in the race, and you should have energy till the end!

All the best in your race πŸ™‚

Kat
    Participant

Hi Mat πŸ™‚

Many thanks for your response and advice. Really appreciated!

Kat x

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.