ITU Long Distance World Champs

Home Forums Races ITU Long Distance World Champs

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Robbie Haywood 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Matthew
    Participant

Is anyone for Trisutto going to the ITU long distance world championships in Oklahoma, 24 September this year?

I’ve been selected for the GB age group team and just booked my flights. It’s a big deal for me considering I started the sport 22 months ago with first ironman at Kalmar Sweden last August.

The ITU is on the Redman Challenge long course. Has anyone done it?
    It looks like the ride and the run courses are as flat as the swim course.
    And with a single left turn over 90km it looks as technical as a turbo trainer ride.

I used the Iron distance 12h training program to get ready for Kalmar (I guess it worked!) and I planned to use it again for Oklahoma. I’ve just bought the bike stimulus program as that’s one bit needing special attention. Any other recommendations to get ready for the race?

Lastly, I also qualified for the GB team in the half distance race in Austria on the 4th Sept 2016.
    That has 1,300m of elevation on the bike and lots of tight corners. And it’s 3 weeks before the worlds.
    How does one go about training for both events when they are so different, and so close?
    Is that even possible for one new to the sport?

As always, advice and tips greatly appreciated.

Matthew

Robbie Haywood
    Keymaster

Hi Matthew, firstly great to hear you have success with our plans and I wouldn’t look to change things that much going into these two races.

Basically if you are fit, you are fit, and terrain is not such an issue. Our plans incorporate strength work on the bike, so do prepare for flat big gear time trial courses, or courses with more undulations in them – think 1 min on, 1 min off on the turbo being ideal for rolling courses.

Having nearly three weeks between the two races is ideal, if you do the right thing between will be better at the second one.

The week following Austria, keep all workouts short and easy e.g. 20 – 30 minute swims, 30 – 40 min rides on the turbo and 20 – 30 minute easy jogs. Do this for the two days after the race, then take your rest day, then continue up to and through the first weekend post race. You should then find your self in a good position to repeat the final two weeks of your training plan from the Monday onwards and go into worlds in great shape, and actually better for having had the first race.

Safe training, and if we have other athletes qualified / qualifying encourage them to comment here.

Cheers,
    Robbie

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.