My race is not until summer. What should I do between now and starting the plan?

Home Forums Training Plans Training Plan FAQs My race is not until summer. What should I do between now and starting the plan?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Susie Langley 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Susie Langley
    Keymaster

We reverse periodise, focusing on quality, developing strength on the bike, swim fitness, and leg speed on the run, while having reduced weekly volume. After improving these areas, we commence our 16 week Iron Distance plan, introducing longer rides and runs as we move into spring and better weather.

Training through a European / Northern American winter means short daylight hours, cold and wet weather with more indoor training or unpleasant cold training outside. Depending on your working environment, it is also cold and flu season – not to mention Christmas and New Year commitments. The lower volume quality program maintains our physical and mental health better through this period, our immune system is stronger, and we lay down a strong structure to then overlay distance work on top of.

We are then in a good place physically and mentally when commencing the 16 weeks training leading up to our goal race. These two blogs will help explain how we structure a training year, and how we might approach the period before the 16 weeks to our goal race.

Reverse periodisation for triathlon article here.
    Ten Phases of Ironman Preparation article here.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by  Susie Langley.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.