Race Warm Up

Home Forums Races Race Warm Up

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Edmund 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Edmund
    Participant

Hi there,

Wasn’t sure whether to post this in training plans or races.

Forgive me if I’ve missed it but what are thoughts on the best way to warm up for an IM race?

In practice I’ve found the swim warm ups from the training plans(differing intensities, pauses) more effective than a continuous 10/15/20mins so I have adapted that for my bike and run warm up. One thing I have noticed (maybe I am getting old ;-)) is that I really need a full ‘pause’ after warming up to perform well rather than just building effort from the start of the session.

Obviously a warm up at a race has it’s own logistical challenges though!

Thanks,
    Ned

Robbie Haywood
    Keymaster

Ironman is a long day, and intensities are actually quite low compared to short fast efforts, or even shorter sprint races. Hence in reality not much of a warm up is needed. Especially if a cold day, with cold water temperatures, and then standing around wet and really cold before the race starts.

A short swim if possible (not always), with your approach ideal – better than a continuos swim, as often space is limited to a small roped off area anyway. No need to swim longer than 25m, just do 5 – 10 minutes of 25s, with every 4th one a little quicker than the others.

No need to run, that just gives heavy legs in the swim – the part of the race most of us have the greatest challenge with anyway.

Hope that helps.

Keegan Williams
    Participant

Craziest warmup I have seen was a guy doing aboout 40plus press ups before a ironman.

Edmund
    Participant

Made sure I did 41 press ups 😉

(kidding.)

Thanks, did exactly as suggested and had a storming swim (we’ll ignore the run at the end…….)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.