Running efficency

Home Forums Coaching Run Running efficency

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Robert Rozej 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Robert Rozej
    Participant

Welcome,
    I have problems with improving my running abilities. I started running 3 years ago and at the beginning it was very big progress. Now i am not worse but also not better. It’s difficult to maintain good, steady pace for longer time. My feeling are that my legs are very well developed and there are no problems with soreness in the muscles even after demanding trainings. Problem is that pulse is getting higher and higer but speed is at lowering. I made some resercheas and at my age i have very high vo2max but energetic cost of running is very very high so energy consuming during running is extremely high. It is well seen during marathons when at the end i am totaly without energy. I tried a lot of things, slow long running, very intensive trainng, nose breathing, changing cadence, etc. Still progress is very weak. 12 km BC2 i am running at 4:15-4:20 at 92% heart race. I don’t know how to improve it.

Mat O’Halloran
    Participant

Hi Robert – there are numerous reasons, why some athletes struggle at the end of endurance events. You seem to have tried a lot of different things, but did you change things, too often and too drastically? It’s imperative, to stick to a new approach, for an extended duration, and go through the FULL process, before micro adjusting.

How you mix your training, according to your pedigree, circumstances and goals, is the key to long-term improvements. Too many athletes, like to try blocks of “extremes” which eventually leads to diminishing returns, instead of modulating the intensity, withing the program.

It seems you might be overthinking it, with the VO2 Max and heart rate stuff. Running is such a primal sport, possibly the most primal of them all. Focusing on your instincts, and sensations will allow you to get the most out of yourself.

In the end, a lot of athletes do some things improperly, without knowing it. One reason, why even top athletes, in all sports, have coaches, is that they provide an exterior and objective outlook!

Keegan Williams
    Participant

Got to agree with Matt
    Keep it simple and enjoy being out in the fresh air. The following video gives some good insight

https://www.nzonscreen.com/title/on-the-run-1979

Robert Rozej
    Participant

Welcome, Thanks a lot Mat and Keegan. Yes i know and i am aware that i am focus too much for my running results. My neighbour is very good runner and thriathlete and i try not to compare to him but i am still doing it. I would like to be better. Also i would like to show my parents that i am worth of sth in sport. I even visited sports psychologist to talk about my problem. Now i try to focus only for joy of free running. I stopped to take part in any running competitions (last season it was week by week competitions). I have coach and plan for marathon because i signed for marathon almost one year ago and i would like to accomplish it as good as i can). Coach based training on sport watch and i am not satisfied very much of that from time i heard about trisutto scale of training intensity. I think that after marathon i give up sport watch and start to run according to trisutto intensity scale. First of all i would like to recover joy of running. At the beginning of my running aventure i had very good resultse. After some very promising marathons i started to believe that it could be only better and some trainigs and i will be almost champion of the world. I also read about very succesful amatours and start to believe that it is real. I did a lot of hard, very differential run work but run marathon below 3 hours is not for me. I tried 5 times (9 marathons in all in 3 years) and always was above 3 hours. Now even after running according to the coach’s plan trying to fulfill all trainings day as good as i can i am far far away mentally from running below 3 hours. I know that it is bad and torpedoes my all preparations but it is difficult to change my thinking after previous experience. Moreover my joy of running is also far far away behind me. No i will go watching “on the run film” πŸ™‚

Mat O’Halloran
    Participant

Hey Robert – okay sounds good. Remember, we all go through ups and downs, in sport, life, business, relationships, ect and in the end, it’s what makes the accomplishments that much more worth it. All the while, testing our true character.

Your main goal should be to gradually improve and simply be better than you used to be. And that is the surest way to get the most out of yourself and sporting career. Often, you will need to take a step back, when things start to go sideways – it’s no real drama in the grand scheme of the world πŸ˜‰

When you get down, take it 1 day at a time and remind yourself is why you started in the sport in the first place. We all have different reasons – but what’s key, is to enjoy the process and the subtle yet significant returns, of living a healthy lifestyle. The performance is simply a bonus πŸ˜‰

Lastly, one last tip, remember, to focus on your RYTHYM when you run. That is the key to most sports. Run with your arms, on your legs πŸ˜‰

Robert Rozej
    Participant

Thanks a lot Mat. It will be very helpful and i will try to practise it. Today during short run i noticed that my arm were wery tight and i was running almost with clenched fists.
    Best regards and have a good time πŸ™‚

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.