Season planning

Home Forums Coaching General Coaching Season planning

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Mat O’Halloran 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Adam Marks
    Participant

Hi all,

I have recently completed the 70.3 Race in here in Geelong and have earned a 70.3 World Champs spot in September. Quite excited. I am intending on purchasing one of the 70.3 programs to prepare for the race in September. I am still in a recovery phase (this week being the second week after the race) and am looking for a bit of guidance in terms of how to structure the lead in to the 16 week 70.3 program.
    My thoughts (based on this link – http://trisutto.com/the-ten-phases-of-ironman-preparation/) is to begin a one session per day commencing next week and then lead into the swim stimulus program for 4 weeks the following week. I am a bit unclear as to how to proceed after that. Complete another 4 week swim stimulus block or perhaps a bike focussed block? The 70.3 program based on the race date would look to start on the 22nd of May so there is obviously a lot of time between now and then. Any suggestions would be most welcome.
    Adam

Mat O’Halloran
    Participant

Hey Adam – thanx for your note and congrats on your worlds slot!

The case-by-case approach is generally the best way to string together a long-term preparation. In your situation, it would be best to do a focus block on whatever weakness you have, between the swim stimulus and 16-week plan.

As a tip, your weakness, might not always be a particular leg of the sport, but could also be general endurance, or handling higher intensities.

All the best!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.